Wednesday, 14 April 2010


On 6 May a Parliamentary general election will be held throughout the UK. On the same day, local council elections will be held in some areas of England.

Students may be able to register at home and at their term-time address. So wherever you are on election day, you can have your say.

If you haven’t registered – it’ simple - there are numerous ways you can do this. The easiest being by completing the form online at Once completed and signed you can send it to Electoral Services, County Hall, Atlantic Wharf, Cardiff, CF10 4UW and you will be registered.

If you don’t have access to the online form and haven’t already received a registration form then you can request one be sent to your address for completion by calling Electoral Services on 02920872034.

It is important to register otherwise you will not be able to vote and it will affect your credit rating. This is because by law we must provide the register to credit reference agencies and they check the information whenever you open an account or make a purchase by deferred payments.

Can I vote twice, at home and at uni?

You can’t vote twice in:

a UK Parliamentary, Scottish Parliamentary, National Assembly for Wales or European Parliamentary election.

But you can vote in local government elections at home and at your term-time address, as long as they are not in the same local government area.